Hadrian's Wall - MC58 to MC 66 STANWIX FORT

Page XVI

Newton to Stanwix

Milecastles 58 to 66

MC58 to MC66

From Milecastle 58 at Newton the Wall makes its way through Old Wall, Bleatarn Farm and Wall Head to Walby before being crossed my the M6 Motorway, The Wall moves on to the modern City of Carlisle. and the fort of STANWIX (PETRIANA).

*******************

Logic ends at the Irthing bridgehead. For the fifty miles of the Wall from the Tyne crossing the Architects of the First Plan sought every military advantage in a somewhat unhelpful terrain. For the fifteen miles from the Coesike (MC 33) they won, boldly and resolutely, every particular degree of military strength from the precipituos escarpment of the Great Whin Sill. For the five miles west of the Irthing Bridgehead (MC 49) they planned the Wall along the crest of another escarpment - but the escarpment faced the wrong way, south ! *1(129)

From the Irthing to the Eden crossing, the Wall is anomalous. *1 (138) In other words it deviates from the rules.

Roman Mile = 1620 yards = 0.92Mile = 1.48km

Start point for this page

Location
Milecastle
Segedunum to Pons Aelis
Pons Aelis to Condercum
Condercum to Heddon
Heddon to Harlow Hill
Harlow Hill to Portgate
Portgate to Chesters
Chesters to Brocolitia
Brocolitia to Vercovicivm
Vercovicivm to MC40
MC40 to Aesica
Aesica to Carvoran
Carvoran to Birdoswald
Birdoswald to Hare Hill
Hare Hill to Newton
Newton to Stanwix
Stanwix to Dykesfield
Dykesfield to Maia
^^^^^The site of Milecastle 58
The site of Milecastle 59
The site of Milecastle 60
This Page is still in development

NBM

Plans to continue beyond Newton

Spring/Summer 2016

**************

some of it done as you can see!!!!

Nov 2015

Stanwix

UXELODUNUM

The Name of the Fort

The fort was called Petrianis in the Notitia Dignitatum, but on the Ravenna Cosmography it is called Uxellodamo, whilst on the Rudge Cup and the Amiens Skillet it is called Uxelodum and Uxelodunum, respectively. The name Petrianis comes from the cohort that was stationed there. Uxelodunum, which appears to be a latinisation of a Celtic toponym, is thought to mean High Fort. It is thus likely that the name Petriana was a scribal error which confused the fort's name and the occupying unit, and that the fort's true name was Uxelodunum..*2Wiki

Named for the ala Augusta Gallorum Pertiana bis torquata millitaria civiem Romanorum - the senior regiment of cavalry in the province of Britain. .*3 (136) This Regiment, 1000 strong, twice decorated with torques for valour and made Roman citizens..*4 FG176

Location

8 Miles west of CAMBOGLANNAand 5.5 miles east of ABALLAVA

It stands on a natural platform above the River Eden.

Uxelodunum was excavated in 1939 which traced the Wall line, a granary and barracks. the size of the Fort was found to be 700 ft from east to west and 580 ft from north to south. making it the largest and Most important fort on the Wall. .*5 FG 175

The Wall in this section was initially built in turf, and later converted into a stone wall, possibly in the second half of the second century AD. A length of the stone-built Wall was found in excavations by Simpson in 1932 within the playground of Stanwix Primary School. *6 EH

STANWIX FORT location in North East Carlisle
Milecastles

This first plan provided for a wall 10ft wide, 15ft 6 inches high and surmounted by a 6ft crenellation. to the north of this was a 20 ft berm, a standard fighting ditch 30ft by 13ft 6 inches, and a glacis composed of the spoil of the ditch, approximately 60ft in width.

At each Roman mile was a milecastle with a north gate opening through the Wall, surmounted by a defensive turret and a south gate. In the original plan there were two barracks and the milecastle maintained a turret on either hand for the patrol garrison.

South of the wall was the Vallum, a complex consisting of a 20 ft ditch with a wide bottom section and mounds composed of spoil to north and south. The wall was built to the design width only on the eastern slope. The Milecastles built before the change of plan had 10ft wings on either side. The curtain wall as finally built was substantially narrower and the join is indicated in the diagram.

This information and the diagram taken from Richard Devine The Northwest Frontier of the Roman Empire Chap2 pg 27

References for Page 15

*1 David Devine -The Northwest Frontier of Rome p129/130

*2 Tony Wilmott + - Excavations of a Roman Fort on Hadrian's Wall and its successor settlements: 1987-92. English Heritage 1997 Archeological Report 14

*3 J C Bruce - The Handbook to the Roman Wall 8th edition 1927 Pg 49

*4 J C Bruce - The Handbook to the Roman Wall 10th edition 1947 Pg 184

*5 J C Bruce - The Handbook to the Roman Wall 10th edition 1947 Pg 183

*6 J C Bruce - The Handbook to the Roman Wall 10th edition 1947 Pg 184

Map:- Banna (Amboglanna) MacLaughlan 1857

Bust of Hadrian:- Muzeo, Nazionale, Naples

Milecastles

This first plan provided for a wall 10ft wide, 15ft 6 inches high and surmounted by a 6ft crenellation. to the north of this was a 20 ft berm, a standard fighting ditch 30ft by 13ft 6 inches, and a glacis composed of the spoil of the ditch, approximately 60ft in width.

At each Roman mile was a milecastle with a north gate opening through the Wall, surmounted by a defensive turret and a south gate. In the original plan there were two barracks and the milecastle maintained a turret on either hand for the patrol garrison.

South of the wall was the Vallum, a complex consisting of a 20 ft ditch with a wide bottom section and mounds composed of spoil to north and south. The wall was built to the design width only on the eastern slope. The Milecastles built before the change of plan had 10ft wings on either side. The curtain wall as finally built was substantially narrower and the join is indicated in the diagram.

This information and the diagram taken from Richard Devine The Northwest Frontier of the Roman Empire Chap2 pg 27

Back to MC58