Haggerston Castle - Northumberland
Bookmark and Share
Cookies-Privacy Policy

Haggerston Castle

Location OS Landranger sheet 75 NU 042436

How to get there On A1, 6 Miles south of Berwick upon Tweed

Licenced to crenellate in 1345. Now a tall tower in a busy Caravan/Holiday park


NU 042436/Ruin/Access

Mansion house crenellated in 1345. There was a Royalist Garrison here in 1648 which was threatening Holy Island. By the 1770s it had been remodelled as a four story block with sash windows. There were further additions in 1813.

The Leland family purchased it by 1860 and more work done after a fire in 1898. The Castle was abandoned c1930 and by 1974 had been demolished except for the tower, Norman Shaw's water tower of 1893.

Now after fires and much knocking about only the tower exists, in a caravan park.

B&W photos RCHME © Mrs, G.L.Y. Radcliffe


Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007 , northofthetyne.co.uk.