Cartington Castle - Northumberland
Bookmark and Share
Cookies-Privacy Policy

Cartington Castle

Location OS Landranger sheet 81 NU 038 045

How to get there At Thropton on the B6341 Take the road signed for Callaly, Whittingham. north for 1.5 miles.

The original "Tower of Kartyngton" in the 1415 survey was owned by John Cartington

click on first picture for wide view

Bookmark and Share
Map Courtesy of Mike Salter

NU 038045/Ruin/Acess

A Complex building in ruins includes C14 tower, extended to included a great hall, and probably a tower-defended courtyard, by John Cartington in 1441/2 when he was granted a licence to crenellate his home. The original " Tower of Kartyngton" mentioned in the 1415 survey was owned by John Cartington and is presumably the tower at the NE corner of the court but there was another tower of uncertain date which once projected southwards from the SW corner of the court.

In 1541 the castle was described as being " a good fortress of two towers and other strong stone houses of the inheritance of Sir Cuthbert Radcliffe and kept in good repair. In 1601 Sir Francis Radcliffe gave it to his son in law Roger Widdrington. Alterations made by Widdrington were noted by a visitor in 1617 noted that the buildings, orchard and garden covered three acres. Having passed through a number of ownerships the Castle was sold to Sir William Armstrong in 1883.

The site was partly excavated in 1888-9. The remains of the castle are situated upon the end of a north- south ridge of pasture and arable land. the walls of the north east tower are fallen above first floor level except at the south west corner, while those of the north wing are likewise demolished to first floor level except over the buttress and along the south side, where they still stand to third floor level at the east end. There are no associated earthworks.

Turris Kartyngton; Cartyngton

top of page

Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007 ,