Simonburn Castle - Northumberland

Northumberland's Castles

Capheaton
A Welsh Castle
Newport (Pembs)
Walks
Allen Banks
Belford
Cheviot
Newburn-Wylam
Thrunton Woods 2
Wall
Wark-Redesmouth
Warkworth Beach
West Woodburn
Yeavering Bell
Lakes walks
Bookmark and Share
Contact
Cookies-Privacy Policy

Simonburn Castle

Location OS Landranger sheet 87 NY 862738

How to get there Take minor road to Simonburn village from B6320 2.5 miles north of Chollerford. Park in Simonburn, follow road in front of the church and left along narrow lane to Burn Ho. Then over the bridge and follow the lane up left signposted to Fenwickfield.

Unfinished Motte probably begun in 1136 by Simon de Senlis. Remains of a folly much overgrown now marks the site. Destroyed by treasure seekers following its being abandoned c1700.

Wikipedia Affiliate Button
History

NY 862738/Ruin/Access

On a promontory between the Castle Burn and Hopshield Burn, is an unfinished motte and bailey. Probably begun in 1136 by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Huntingdon.

A dwelling here was first mentioned in 1293 when it passed from Henry Graham to Adam Swinburne. The 1415 Survey shows it in the hands of the Herons. Remains of C13 tower house partly reconstructed as an eyecatcher in 1766, surviving as a ruined building of which the upper storeys have now collapsed. The tower was built of small stone blocks. Only the barrel vaulted ground floor of the tower survives, with the remains of a turret on the north west side.

Recorded in 1541 survey as 4 storey strong tower in good repair standing on very strong ground. It was abandoned in c1700 in favour of Chipchase.

Turris de Simondburn; Symondburne.

top

Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007-2017 N B M