Lindisfarne Castle - Northumberland

Northumberland's Castles

A Welsh Castle
Newport (Pembs)
Walks
Allen Banks
Belford
Cheviot
Newburn-Wylam
Thrunton Woods 2
Wall
Wark-Redesmouth
Warkworth Beach
West Woodburn
Yeavering Bell
Lakes walks
Bookmark and Share
Contact
Cookies-Privacy Policy
Lindisfarne Castle

(Holy Island)

Location OS Landranger sheet 81 NU 136417

How to get there from A1 Approx 6.5 miles south of Berwick upon Tweed. Be aware of the Tide tables when planning a visit.

Wikipedia Affiliate Button
Castle Map courtesy of--- Mike Salter

The Castles and Tower houses of Northumberland

History

NU 136417/Habitable/Access

A Small fort built during the reign of Henry VIII, possibly on the site of an earlier look-out tower. A Map of Holy Island in 1548 shows a beacon on the site of that now occupied by the Castle. The Construction began in 1542 and completed in 1550, probably on the Rocky outcrop to the east of the present Castle. The present site had earth banks which were replaced with stone in 1567 for cannon batteries and was thereafter steadily transformed to provide accommodation for the garrison and built from the stone of the ruined priory around 1570. It has no history of bloodshed. The garrison of the castle was never more than a handful, and apart from the odd epidimic, its duties were militarily uneventful. (The local church records,"Sundry sodgers buryed on one day in 1639"). The nearest it came to battle was in October 1715, when Launcelot Errington and his nephew found all but two of the garrison out for the day and succeeded in ejecting them. For 24 hours they held the castle for the Jacobites and then made an unsuccessful dash for it before the troops returned. Errington and his nephew were imprisoned at Berwick but escaped by burrowing out of Berwick Gaol. In the 17th century Captain Rugg was the governor, he was, according to one account." a notable good fellow, as his great read nose ful of pimples did give tesimony". The site was used as a coastguard station after 1819 following the withdrawal of the guns. The present castle was restored in 1902 as a house by Sir Edward Lutyens and having passed through the ownership of various Bankers was given to the National Trust in 1944. There is a Gertrude Jekyll garden to the noth of the castle included as part of Lutyens design. Holy Island; Beblow Fort; Belbowe Fort; Biblawe Fort; Beblowe

Jekyll Garden photo--- Mike Booth
The Author 1988
JMW Turner c1820
Postcards 1950s
Postcard from the air 1960s
For other Castles in Northumberland or for Illustrated Walks click the name in list on the left of the page

top of page

View My Guestbook

Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007-2014 N B M