Coupland Castle - Northumberland

Northumberland's Castles

A Welsh Castle
Newport (Pembs)
Walks
Allen Banks
Belford
Cheviot
Newburn-Wylam
Thrunton Woods 2
Wall
Wark-Redesmouth
Warkworth Beach
West Woodburn
Yeavering Bell
Lakes walks
Bookmark and Share
Contact
Cookies-Privacy Policy

Coupland Castle

Location OS Landranger sheet 81 NT 936312

No Tower mentioned here on the 1415 and 1541 lists

Thought to have been built by Wallis around 1585

This Castle is a private residence access by appointment only

How to get there Off the A 697 north of Wooler signed westward to Coupland

Wikipedia Affiliate Button
The Castle is available

for Weddings, Guided Tours etc.

The Pele Tower is available as a Holiday Let.

Ring 01668 216292  

Bookmark and Share
History

NT936312/Habitable/Private Residence

The lists of 1415 and 1541 do not mention a fortification here.

Although known as a castle, this is a tower house, probably built sometime after 1584 by the Wallis family following a border commission recommendation that there be built a chain of forts to protect the frontier. It has been added to over the years and was restored in C19 by Thomas Bates. He had purchased the tower in a derelict state in 1806 from Nathaniel Ogle it having been gutted by fire some years earlier. The tower has three storeys with an attic on top and a small projecting tower carried up the south wall, an interesting feature of which is the upper spiral stair, which was designed for use by a left handed swordsman. The entrance door has a date of 1594 inscribed on one side and leads into a barrel vaulted room, or basement, now divided into two. A newel, or spiral staircase leads to the upper floors. The attic roof seems to be original and is an unusual and interesting structure. The tower is a good example of a tower house and is very much in the Scottish tradition. A huge chimney piece in the Court Room has the date 1619 with the initials of George Wallis and his wife Mary this is thought to be a later embellishment. Matthew Culley succeded to the estate in 1830. The Castle's ghost was exorcised in 1925, it had taken the form of "dragging footsteps and things that go bump in the night". The Castle a Grade 1 listed building was sold to Alderman Weidner in 1924. It was sold again twice in the 1970s. The Castle sits in 25 acres of garden, arboretum, woodland and paddocks. It is a private residence.

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as; Coupland Millfield; Copeland; Cowpland. In the civil parish of Ewart

For other Castles in Northumberland or for Illustrated Walks click the name in list on the left of the page
View My Guestbook
Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007-2014 N B M