Chillingham Castle - Northumberland

Northumberland's Castles

A Welsh Castle
Newport (Pembs)
Allen Banks
Thrunton Woods 2
Warkworth Beach
West Woodburn
Yeavering Bell
Lakes walks
Bookmark and Share
Cookies-Privacy Policy

Chillingham Castle

Location OS Landranger sheet 75 NU 062258

How to get there:- In North Northumberland. From the B6348 at Chatton village turn south for 2 miles.

Thomas de Heton was licensed to crenellate his manor house of " Chevelyngham" in 1344. He is presumed to have begun the building of the present building then.

Chillingham Castle is full of interesting artifacts. It has a shop, cafe, beautiful gardens and friendly staff.

Bookmark and Share

NU 062258/Habitable/Access

There are no certain remains of the manor house in which Henry III stayed in 1255 and which was destroyed by the Scots in 1296. The Castle stands on a spur and originally had a surrounding ditch. In 1344, Sir Thomas Grey was granted a licence to crenellate his property at Chillingham. He built a quadrangular castle with four corner towers and an inner courtyard. A curtain wall was built around the castle grounds, but this has now mostly disappeared, although some remains can be seen at the end of the Italian Garden.

The Castle came under attack in 1536 during the 'Pilgrimage of Grace' rebellion. Sir Robert Ellerker successfully defended the castle, but had to repair damage caused by cannon-fire. Charles Bennet, Lord Ossulston, obtained the castle by marriage in 1701 and was created Earl of Tankerville in 1714. The Castle itself, much altered in C17, C18 and C19 remains.

Chevelyngham; Chelynggam; Chauelingham; Chevelingham

Post card Chillingham from the air 1970's

top of page

Artwork, Photographs and Site Design are Copyright © 2007-2015 N B M